Last Updated on November 21, 2022 by Admin
Benchmark – Strategy and Business Models Exercise
In this assignment, students will apply the concepts of business models and strategies to a real company. Students will have the opportunity to assess why these components work for the company, and what skills it takes for management to develop these long-term plans.
In 500 words or more, choose a company in the IT industry and describe its business strategy and business model. Why does this strategy and model work (or not work) for the business? Explain what skills you employed and how you used them to assess the chosen company’s IT decisions. What additional skills would be needed for a professional to implement changes within this company? What security issues are unique to the business/industry (e.g. finance, production, international product distribution, SCADA, political, defense etc.)? What steps/solutions would be necessary for this company?
This assignment requires the use of at least two additional scholarly research sources published within the last 5 years. Include at least one in-text citation from each cited source.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
BS in Cybersecurity
3.2 Demonstrate cybersecurity planning process by developing detailed operational plans and conducting strategic planning. [GCU Mission Critical 3, 6, 7]
Expert Answer and Explanation
Strategy and business models
The company that I have chosen to focus on is Apple. I will discuss its business strategy and business model and how these work for the company. I will also assess the company’s IT decisions and explain what skills were used in this assessment.
Apple’s business strategy is based on offering unique and differentiated products. The company designs and manufactures its products, which are then sold to consumers through its retail stores and online store. This strategy has helped to make Apple one of the world’s most valuable companies by offering its customers a seamless user experience (MEYER, 2019).
The company’s business model is based on a high degree of vertical integration. This means that Apple designs and manufactures its products and then sells them directly to consumers. This allows Apple to control the entire customer experience and capture a larger share of the revenue from each sale. Apple’s vertical integration strategy has several advantages, including:
- It allows Apple to control the quality of its products and to ensure that they meet the company’s high standards.
- It gives Apple more significant control over the pricing of its products and allows the company to capture more revenue from each sale.
- It allows Apple to control its products’ distribution and reach customers directly.
- Vertical integration allows Apple to control the customer experience. By controlling the design, manufacture, and distribution of its products, Apple can ensure that customers have a positive experience with its products from the moment they purchase them.
Apple’s vertical integration strategy has helped to make the company one of the most successful businesses in the world. However, it is not without its challenges. One of Apple’s biggest challenges is the need to continuously innovate its products and business model to stay ahead of its competitors (Gaille, 2017).
Another challenge facing Apple is maintaining a high level of customer service. Because Apple sells its products directly to consumers, it is responsible for providing customer support and servicing its products. This can be a challenge for a company of Apple’s size, but it is essential to maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction.
The skills I used to assess Apple’s IT decisions were my knowledge of the company’s business strategy and business model and my understanding of the company’s challenges. In order to assess the company’s IT decisions, I also used my knowledge of the IT industry and the competitive landscape. The additional skills that would be needed for a professional to implement changes within Apple would depend on the specific changes that are being proposed. However, some of the skills that would be needed include a deep understanding of the company’s business and competitive environment and a thorough understanding of the IT industry.
Security issues that are unique to Apple
- Apple uses industrial control systems (SCADA) in its production process. These systems are vulnerable to cyber-attacks that could disrupt production or cause physical damage.
- Apple’s financial data is a target for hackers. In 2015, a group of hackers targeted Apple’s financial data and were able to steal information related to the company’s earnings successfully. Also, there have been several high-profile cases of financial fraud involving Apple, such as the “Apple Store” phishing scam and the “iTunes Gift Card” scam.
- Apple’s products are sold in many countries around the world. This exposes the company to the risk of political instability in those countries. For example, Apple’s stores in Turkey were vandalized during the 2013 Gezi Park protests.
- Apple is a large and politically influential company. It has been the target of political attacks, such as when the Chinese government accused it of aiding dissidents.
- The military and other government agencies use Apple’s products. This makes the company a target for hackers who want to obtain sensitive information.
The steps that would be necessary for Apple to take in order to improve its security posture would depend on the specific security threats that the company is facing. However, some of the steps Apple could take include increasing its investment in security, implementing additional security measures such as authentication methods (two-factor authentication), and increasing cooperation with law enforcement and intelligence agencies. They could also improve security by encrypting data more effectively and providing more security training for employees.
Gaille, L. (2017, July 18). 13 Advantages And Disadvantages Of Vertical Integration. Retrieved from https://vittana.org/13-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-vertical-integration
MEYER, P. (2019, June 5). Apple Inc.’s Generic Strategy & Intensive Growth Strategies. Retrieved from https://panmore.com/apple-inc-generic-strategy-intensive-growth-strategies
Write a fully developed and detailed APA essay addressing each of the following points/questions. There is no required word count; be sure to completely answer all the questions for each question in detail.