Write a 750-1,000 word paper discussing the influence of the IOM report on nursing practice
Review the Institute of Medicine’s 2010 report “The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.” Write a 750-1,000 word paper discussing the influence of the IOM report on nursing practice. Include the following:
- Summarize the four messages outlined in the IOM report and explain why these are significant to nursing practice.
- Discuss the direct influence the IOM report has on nursing education and nursing leade rship. Describe the benefits and opportunities for BSN-prepared nurses.
- Explain why it is important that a nurse\’s role and education evolve to meet the needs of an aging and increasingly diverse population.
- Discuss the significance of professional development, or lifelong learning, and its relevance in caring for diverse populations across the life span and within the health-illness continuum.
- Discuss how nurses can assist in effectively managing patient care within an evolving health care system.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
use this links please if they can help
Expert Answer and Explanation
Professional Development of Nursing Professionals
The Institute of Medicine (IOM) published a report that talks about professional development among the nurses in 2008 (Wellings et al., 2017). The report was used to address the challenges facing nursing professionals, and they can be overcome. After launching the report, the American Nursing Association (ANA) noted that the document could be used in navigating the nursing profession by designing a professional development map they can follow.
The authors of the report noted some key changes occurring in the nursing practice as of now. One of the elements occurring in nursing practice is education. The report noted that nurses could develop professional solely through education and training. Since its release, many organizations, including the US government, have been on the move to improve nursing practice. That said, this assignment’s purpose is to detail the influence of the report on the nursing practice as a whole.
Summary of the Messages and their Significance to Nursing Practice
The first message was that nurses should perform their duties to the full extent of their knowledge and expertise (Palatnik, 2016). This message affects the nursing practice in that it has been used to lobby healthcare leaders to remove barriers, such as policies complex systems, and rocky transformation from nursing school to practice to allow nurses to provide services to their full extend.
The second message is that nurses should use an improved education system to achieve higher levels of training and education. This message has impacted nursing in that many nurses who have joined the practice are competent and qualified. The third message is that there should be a full collaboration between nurses and other care workers in a move to redesign and improve the system (Altman et al., 2016).
The last message is that proper information infrastructure should be followed when developing policies and regulations. This message has advocated for nurses’ role in policymaking.
The Influence of the Report and Benefits of BSN-prepared Nurses
The report has influenced nursing education by recommending policies and actions that should be taken to improve nursing education. One of the policies is providing the student-nurses with funds to continue with their study. Also, the report has influenced nursing leadership in that it has recommended that the leaders should be included in every action that can affect healthcare (Xu et al., 2018).
BSN-prepared nurses have many benefits in terms of job opportunities. They can be employed as nurse managers, quality assurance officers, or any other senior post. Another benefit is that they have a chance to earn money for their services.
Importance of Evolving the Role of Nurses
Xu et al. (2018) report that the rate of the nursing shortage is high at the moment. The issue is increasingly becoming a problem because of the diverse population and aging nurses. Thus, evolving the role of nurses and educating them can help solve is this problem.
Evolving the nurses’ role includes training them to handle many different tasks within the health facilities. Training a person to be a midwife and pediatric nurse is one way of solving the shortage issue. Also, loosening restrictions on nursing education can allow anyone aspiring to become a nurse to join the industry and solve the shortage issue.
Significance of Professional Development
Professional development is vital because it improves one’s experience to handle new cases in nursing. For instance, in this Covid-19 situation, a nurse who has experience in dealing with contagious diseases can handle it well compared to the fresh mind from school. Another significance of lifelong learning is that it provides nurses with new knowledge and a role in the nursing practice. Nurses who have attained a Ph.D. certificate can conduct research, educate other nurses, and provide his or her expertise during interventions (Xu et al., 2018).
Overall, nurses who have attained higher education are more knowledgeable and experienced to improve the wellbeing of patients and place them in the heath section of the “health-illness continuum.”
How Nurses can Assist in Managing Patient Care
The first role of nurses in managing patient care is diagnosing the patients, giving the possible illness affecting them, and recommending medication to reduce the effects of the disease. Another way nurses can help manage patient care is by conducting studies to develop interventions that can be used to treat some medical issues.
Altman et al. (2016) report that nurses can help manage patient care by educating the patients on how to avoid activities that can increase their stay in the hospital. For instance, nurses can help educate patients about strategies to prevent falls within care settings. Lastly, nurses can help manage patient care by advocating for patients’ rights and lobbying for policies that change the system and improve the quality of care.
The report has been vital in changing the face of the nursing practice. Since its release, many organizations have come up to help nurses develop professionally. Nurses play many roles in patient care, including advocacy, educator, researcher, and caregiver roles, and this cannot be possible if they are not developed professionally.
Altman, S. H., Butler, A. S., & Shern, L. (Eds.). (2016). Assessing progress on the Institute of Medicine report The Future of Nursing. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. https://nepincollaborative.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Assessing-Progress-on-the-IOM-Futue-of-Nursing-Report.pdf
American Nursing Association. (n. d.). IOM Future of Nursing Report. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/iom-future-of-nursing-report/
Palatnik, A. (2016). The future of nursing: leading change, advancing health… how are we doing. retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK209881/
Wellings, C. A., Gendek, M. A., & Gallagher, S. E. (2017). Evaluating continuing nursing education: a qualitative study of intention to change practice and perceived barriers to knowledge translation. Journal for nurses in professional development, 33(6), 281-286. doi: 10.1097/NND.0000000000000395
Xu, J., Francis, L., Dine, J., & Thomas, T. H. (2018). Unique experiences of direct entry BSN/BS-PhD nursing students: A Delphi study. Nurse education today, 69, 30-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.06.024
Place your order now on the similar assignment and get fast, cheap and best quality work written by our expert level assignment writers.Answered Questions:
[ANSWERED] Identify a quality improvement opportunity in
[ANSWERED] Develop an interview questionnaire to be used in a family-focused functional assessment
[ANSWERED] Select a family, other than your own, and seek
ANSWERED! In this project you will select an organization or
[ANSWERED] What is the significance of the product lifecycle
institute of medicine 2010 future of nursing report 4 key messages
iom future of nursing report 2020
iom future of nursing report pdf
iom report the future of nursing
what does the institute of medicine iom say about the need of nurse practitioners
iom 2010 report
iom report 2020
iom report the future of nursing leading change advancing health
Institute of medicine 2010 future of nursing report 4 key messages
- Nurses should practice to the full extent of their education and training: The report recommended that nurses should have the opportunity to practice to the full extent of their education and training, which includes allowing nurses to practice to the full extent of their license, certification, or registration. This means that nurses should be able to perform tasks that they are qualified to do, and that they should have access to educational opportunities that will enable them to advance their careers.
- Nurses should achieve higher levels of education and training: The report recommended that nurses should be encouraged to pursue higher levels of education and training, including advanced degrees. This is important because nurses with higher levels of education and training are better equipped to provide high-quality patient care, and they are more likely to be leaders in healthcare organizations.
- Nurses should be full partners with physicians and other healthcare professionals: The report recommended that nurses should be full partners with physicians and other healthcare professionals in redesigning the healthcare system. This means that nurses should be involved in decision-making processes, and that they should be part of interdisciplinary teams that work together to improve patient care.
- Effective workforce planning and policy-making require better data collection and information infrastructure: The report recommended that better data collection and information infrastructure are needed to support effective workforce planning and policy-making. This includes collecting data on the number and types of nurses in the workforce, as well as their education and training levels, so that policymakers can make informed decisions about how to address workforce needs.
What does the institute of medicine iom say about the need of nurse practitioners?
IOM report the future of nursing leading change advancing health
- Expanding the scope of practice for nurses: The report recommended that nurses be allowed to practice to the full extent of their education and training. This would include allowing advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs), such as nurse practitioners, to have full practice authority, which would increase access to care, especially in underserved areas.
- Increasing the diversity of the nursing workforce: The report emphasized the need to increase the diversity of the nursing workforce to better reflect the communities they serve.
- Improving nursing education: The report called for increased investment in nursing education and training, including promoting seamless academic progression, providing opportunities for lifelong learning, and increasing the use of technology to improve nursing education.
- Promoting interprofessional collaboration: The report recommended promoting collaboration among healthcare providers to improve the delivery of care, including the use of interprofessional education and team-based care models.
- Improving data collection and analysis: The report called for better data collection and analysis to inform policy decisions and improve the quality of care.
IOM report the future of nursing
- Nurses should practice to the full extent of their education and training: This recommendation aimed to expand the scope of practice for nurses, particularly advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs), such as nurse practitioners, to meet the growing demand for primary care services.
- Nurses should achieve higher levels of education and training: This recommendation aimed to increase the number of nurses with bachelor's and advanced degrees in nursing to better prepare them for their roles in an evolving healthcare system.
- Nurses should be full partners, with physicians and other healthcare professionals, in redesigning healthcare in the United States: This recommendation aimed to promote interprofessional collaboration among healthcare providers to improve the quality and safety of care.
- Effective workforce planning and policy-making require better data collection and an improved information infrastructure: This recommendation aimed to improve data collection and analysis to inform policy decisions and improve the quality of care.