You will conduct two interviews with practicing professionals in the field of law enforcement. These individuals may occupy positions in federal, state, county, or municipal police agencies, probation, parole, or prosecutors’ offices.
It is preferable that you conduct the interviews in person, but telephone interviews will be acceptable if in-person interviews cannot be arranged.
Focus on the following questions in your interviews:
- Why are ethics and character so important in the field of law enforcement?
- Do the interviewees feel that police are more ethical today, or were they more ethical 10 years ago?
- Why do police officers become involved in misconduct?
- Do the interviewees feel that there is enough training offered in ethics at the police academy level? If not, why is that?
- Should ethics training be offered as an ongoing process for law enforcement officers?
- Do the interviewees feel that education and/or training in ethics would reduce incidents of police corruption?
Report the results of these interviews in a paper that answers the proposed questions. Apply to your paper information that has been read and discussed in class on various ethical issues to form a synthesis of practical law enforcement ideologies. Be sure to discuss with the interviewees at least four contemporary ethical issues that they are dealing with as criminal justice practitioners. Finally, offer your own insights on the perspectives of the individuals you interviewed and materials covered in the text readings and Seminar discussions.
The paper will be a minimum of 6–8 double-spaced pages using a 12-point font. It must be in APA format.