Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
- Provide at least three (3) various reasons why some health care organizations have been reluctant to implement electronic medical records.
- Discuss the essential manner in which the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) impacts patient’s medical records.
- Determine the main advantages and disadvantages of the adoption of The HITECH (the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health) Act for health care professionals. Next, suggest one (1) strategy that the medical staff members could use in order to mitigate the main disadvantages in question.
- Review the typical workflow processes within health organizations, and decide the single most significant process that the health organization must eliminate in order to improve the service. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- Analyze the primary ways in which the key federal initiatives impact the standards of health care information for patient privacy, safety, and confidentially.
- Specify the fundamental advantages of applying an IT system within health care organizations. Predict new IT developments in the health care industry for the next two (2) decades. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar type Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting guidelines:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine the impact technologies have on health care information systems.
- Examine the systems development life cycle of a custom application and the selection of proprietary systems.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in health information systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about health information systems using proper writing mechanics.
For your primary post, please respond to (1) of the following three (3) topics with a post of at least 125 words addressing the issue. Also, please reply to at least one fellow student on any topic.
- . Watch the instructor’s video about “-omics”, in the Instructor Insights section.
- Describe four things you learned from the instructor’s video about ‘-omics’.
- (Note: If you choose this discussion topic, your answer be based on the material specifically covered in the video, rather than generic information on –omics from the internet. If you would rather research information from the internet, then choose discussion topic 3).
- . Watch the instructor’s video about the synthetic genome “Syn 3.0” in the Instructor Insights section. Subsequently, answer the following:
- (a) Explain how Syn 3.0 is different from naturally-occurring microorganisms.
- (b) What do you think we’ve learned, if anything, from Syn 3.0? Explain.
- (c) In your opinion, what are the inherent risks of this research, if any?
- . On the Internet, read one or more articles about how the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) ruled in the case of Association for Molecular Pathology versus Myriad Genetics. In your answer, give must credit your source(s). Your answer must address the following:
- (a) Why did the plaintiffs object to Myriad’s patent on the breast cancer-related genes (BRCA1 and BRCA2)?
- (b) How did SCOTUS rule [Note: the rulings of lower courts are of interest for our purposes. Please concentrate on SCOTUS’s ruling].
- (c) What is your view on the issue of whether we should allow human genes to be patented?