Write an essay detailing a selected individual’s leadership style and approaches in relationship to his or her communication, using and applying various leadership methods and theories.
This assessment focuses on the ever evolving topics of organizational leadership and effective communication competencies:
- Who are the truly influential leaders in our organizations and personal lives?
- How do we each individually define leadership and how did we come to our current level of understanding?
Throughout your career, you could undoubtedly benefit from analyzing the communication style and approaches of other leaders and managers you consider effective and successful. This assessment provides an opportunity and framework to do that in the context of effective leader communication.
Complete the following:
- Choose an individual who you know personally and consider to be an effective leader. This person may be someone you have worked for or with or have been in contact with through organizations in the community.
- Research the various leadership theories and methods referenced in the assessment instructions below using the Capella library and other sources. The suggested materials in the Resources for this assessment is a good place to start.
- Write an essay detailing the selected individual’s leadership style and approaches in relationship to his or her communication through the following:
- Use Charles Handy’s six methods of influence to analyze how the leader influences others and pose potential methods that might improve communication effectiveness.
- Apply different theories related to leadership styles to describe the leader’s communication and specify which might be most effective in explaining the communication.
- Describe which of Goleman’s six leadership styles best fits the leader.
- Identify the leader’s position on the Tannenbaum-Schmidt leadership continuum.
- Analyze the leader’s place in the Blake and Mouton Managerial Grid.
- Analyze the leader’s communication using Hersey and Blanchard’s situational leadership theory and potential changes using situational leadership that could improve communication.
- Using French and Raven’s description of five leadership power types, explain how the leader communicates and potential shifts in the use of power bases that could improve communication.
Your essay should be well organized and written in clear, succinct language. Follow APA rules for attributing sources that support your analysis and conclusions.
Academic Integrity and APA Formatting
As a reminder related to using APA rules to ensure academic honesty:
- When using a direct quote (using exact or nearly exact wording), you must enclose the quoted wording in quotation marks, immediately followed by an in-text citation. The source must then be listed in your references page.
- When paraphrasing (using your own words to describe a non-original idea), the paraphrased idea must be immediately followed by an in-text citation and the source must be listed in your references page.