Application 2: Laying the Foundation for New Approaches to Practice
As frequently noted in the literature, there is often a gap between research evidence and practice. This is not a new phenomenon; however, with the rapid growth of knowledge, it is essential that nurses hone their ability to identify this gap, determine best practices based on the evidence, and then apply this evidence to practice through the development of new approaches. In order for that to transpire, nurses must be skilled in leading change efforts so that adoption of new practice approaches can be successful.
For your EBP Project in Week 2 (Application 1 [SEE ATTACHED FILES] ), you identified an issue in your practicum setting in which the outcome is different from what would be expected according to the research literature. This week continue to explore current research literature looking for new evidence to address the problem. In addition, you build on the work you began in this week’s Discussion and select an evidence-based practice model ( The Iowa Model of Evidence-Based Practice to Promote Quality Care” Or you can use the Johns Hopkins Model) and change theory (USE THE THEORY OF PLANNED BEHAVIOR) or framework that will support your efforts.
To prepare for Application 2 address the following:
- How current is the science underlying the practices related to your EBP Project issue?
- Consider possible causes of the difference in outcomes from what would be expected according to the research literature.
- Evaluate the effect the EBP Project issue is having in practice.
- Using the Walden Library and other credible sources, locate current research evidence of new practices that are effective in addressing the issue.
- Use the GRADE model presented in the Guyatt et al. (2011) article to evaluate the research evidence (see attached file for the article)
The full Application 2 is due by Day 5 of this week. Instructions for how to prepare for previous sections of this Application have been provided in Week 4.
Write a 3- to 5-page paper, in APA format with a minimum of 6 scholarly references. Include the following level one headers as numbered below:
2) A brief summary of the currency of the science underlying the practices used to address your EBP Project issue
3) Possible causes of the difference in outcomes from what would be expected according to the research literature
4) The effect the EBP Project issue is having in practice
5) Current research evidence on new practices for addressing the EBP Project issue
6) A summary of the evidence-based practice model (including models from other disciplines as appropriate) and/or change theory or framework you will utilize to systematically integrate new approaches to practice to address the issue