Essay #1 Assignment
Write a 1500 word essay in response. You may need to do some research, providing citations for the background material you will use to help you make your argument. If so, include a Works Cited page in MLA formats with your essay, and do not neglect to use in-text citations when you quote, paraphrase, or summarize a source. Be sure that you also cite the work you use from Arguing about Literature.
Compare the tone and attitude of the mothers to their daughters in Tillie Olsen’s “I Stand Here Ironing,” and Alice Walker’s “Everyday Use,”. What issue(s) or challenges does each mother face, and how do those issues influence each mother’s thoughts about her daughter(s) as well as the outcome of each story?
Grading criteria for this essay:
• Accuracy and completeness of understanding of the ideas and evidence contained in the text you are writing about
• Defensible and interesting thesis statement
• Development of ideas, use of pertinent examples, convincing explanations
• Ability to reason with and explain the ideas being dealt with
• Logical essay structure, leading reader from one idea to the next
• Readability and correctness of prose
Review the Critical Thinking Grading Standards for more detail on these criteria.