In 1999, the FBI initiated operation of the Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS). This database contains approximately 50 million fingerprint records and links state AFIS computers. In this assignment, you will examine the use of the IAFIS system regarding efficacy, constitutionality, and any benefits or advantages.
- address the following:
- In your own words, what is the Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS)?
- In your own words, what are the steps for utilizing the IAFIS? Explain.
- What advantages do you think are realized through the use of IAFIS? Explain.
- What disadvantages might the system pose for crime scene investigators? Explain.
- Do you feel that it is ethical to use an automated system to compare crime scene fingerprints with those in a database? Is it constitutional? Why or why not? Explain your rationale.
- Is there any potential for abuse of the system? Why or why not? Explain.
- Post a new topic to the Discussion Board that contains your responses to the above questions.
- Comment on at least 2 other students’ posts.