Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Unit 2 has discussed how sociologists identify cultures and subcultures, and how both have unique components—language, values, norms (behaviors), and food. For this Discussion Board, you will dive deeper into culture by completing the following:
- Using the textbook located on your Bookshelf, define each of the four components of culture—language, values, norms (behaviors), and food. Be sure to paraphrase and cite your sources; do not copy and paste from the textbook.
- Next, choose a popular television show (examples include The Simpsons, The Big Bang Theory, The Goldbergs, and Orange is the New Black) or a movie you have enjoyed.
- For your chosen show or movie, provide specific examples for each component of culture (language, values, norms, and food) found within your show or movie. For example, in The Simpsons, language can be seen with the word “D’oh” and the phrase, “Don’t have a cow, man!”
- Each TV show could be said to represent a subculture of mainstream society. How are each of the four components of culture (language, values, norms, and food) identified above different from or similar to what you would expect to see in mainstream American culture?
- Finally, choose 1 of the following theorists: Durkheim, Marx, or Cooley. What does your chosen theorist say about the role of culture in shaping human behavior?
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Unit 1 Discussion Board 2 Grading Criteria
Correctly defined the four components of culture. 12
Identified examples of each component of culture in a television show or movie. 12
Compared/contrasted each component with mainstream society. 10
Discussed either Durkheim’s, Marx’s, or Cooley’s theories on the influence of culture on behavior. 10
Responded to at least 2 fellow classmates. Each response was at least 100 words in length. 22
Spelling, grammar, APA (in-text citations and at least 1 outside source) 9