First, introduce yourself to the class. Include your major and anything you would like to share about yourself. Then address the prompt below.
In this module, you are exploring the concept of identity, self, and groups. Through this exploration, you learn that we are all a part of a social ecosystem that represents our relationships and the groups we belong to. In fact, the thoughts, feelings, and choices that result from your relationships with different people and groups help to define your identity.
First, title your post “Identity and Self.”
For your initial post, review the videos Role Strain Versus Role Conflict (Microsociology with the Simpsons/Belchers/Flintstones/Smiths: Role Strain vs. Role Conflict – YouTube) and Deviance: Crash Course Sociology #18 (Deviance: Crash Course Sociology #18 – YouTube). Then respond to the following:
- What are the various levels of your social ecosystem? In what ways have they changed in the past 5 or 10 years?
- If something has changed within your social ecosystem, was it intentional? Or did your social ecosystem change you?
- How have your relationships with specific aspects of your social ecosystem helped to shape your identity?
- Do you think people act more based on who they are or based on their group’s behavior? Please provide a specific example to support your position.
- How does the concept of identity and the group apply to any of the following programmatic course themes:
- Social justice
- Emotional intelligence
- Career connections
Write a fully developed and detailed APA essay addressing each of the following points/questions. There is no required word count; be sure to completely answer all the questions for each question in detail.