In both your professional and personal life, you will make a variety of decisions. You should consider the financial and nonfinancial aspects while making decisions. To evaluate scenarios, you will also use some tools such as net present value (NPV), internal rate of return (IRR), modified internal rate of return (MIRR), payback, discounted payback, and return on investment (ROI) that you have discussed so far.
In this assignment, you will evaluate the financial aspects of making decisions. Tasks:
Investigate any two of the following four financial decisions:
1) Using net present value calculations, determine which has a higher ROI. Assume the average mileage under both options is 15,000 miles. The car will be sold for its Kelly Blue Book value at the end of ownership or it will be returned to the leasing dealership for no additional lease/return/mileage cost. The automobile being considered is a 4-cyl, 2.5 liter, two-wheel drive, Nissan Rogue sport utility. At the end of the 6 years, the automobile is in very good condition. Tax, title, or license fees are not considered under either option.
· Buying a Nissan Rogue today for $32,000, putting $10,000 down and taking a six-year loan for the rest at 4%
· Leasing the Rogue for 6 years at $360 a month with a down payment of $3,500 due at delivery. The car must be returned at the end of the lease. 15,000 miles per year are allowed under this lease plan.
Show your work and explain your rationale.
2) Commit to buy a vacation home in the climate of your choice, rent the home out when you are not using it, or sign a five-year lease for the home for the two months a year you plan on using it. You will need to make up the numbers for your home for this exercise.
3) A different buy-or-lease alternative—you could buy a home for $300,000, putting 20% down and renting it out at $1,700 a month. Which would make more financial sense? Buying or leasing the home? Explain your rationale.
4)Lease your home for the next three years or sell it with the intent to return to the same geographic area after you complete a three-year expatriate assignment in the country of your choice. Given the facts above, should you lease the house or sell it? The current market value is approximately $320,000. Explain your rationale, and show your work.
For the two options that you selected (and using the figures given above for those options), investigate the realistic assumptions for your location and include the information you found in the analysis. Create a paper in about 1,000–1,200 words, including the following:
· Initial information/approach: purchase price, rebate, down payment, amount to finance, etc.
· Payments formulas and calculations
· Explanation of the financial factors that you are employing in the selected decisions
· Conclusion containing the “best answer” for your personal life on the basis of these financial factors
· Probability of following the recommended “best answer” (assuming that these are the only decision options)
Grading CriteriaMaximum Points
– Communicates understanding of financial factors employed in the selected decisions.40
– Communicates the ability to analyze the situation and provide optimal conclusions on the basis of financial factors.80
– Communicates the ability to assess the probability of following the recommended solutions60
– Conveys through written word understanding and application of the essential assignment components20