To prepare for this Discussion, you will be required to read the assigned chapters in your Stanhope and Lancaster text. Then, call the Department of Health or your local Public Health Department and speak to a nurse. Find out the top health concern(s) for your community. Please focus your attention on the unique tools that nurses who work in the community utilize to care for populations, including the Intervention Wheel.
Listen to Dr. Attia’s Ted Talk in the resources for this week.
By Day 3
Post your response to the following:
- Pick a top health issue in your community and describe some ways in which a nurse might improve this issue at the population level.
- Are the problems that your colleagues are sharing the same as you are seeing in your communities, or are they different?
- Consider different aspects of intervention(s) at the system and community levels of care to address health problems in their own communities. Consider Dr. Attia’s profound message as you respond to your peers and think outside the box.
Support your response with references from professional nursing literature.
Notes Initial Post: This should be a 3-paragraph (at least 350 words) response. Be sure to use evidence from the readings and include in-text citations. Utilize essay-level writing practice and skills, including the use of transitional material and organizational frames. Avoid quotes; paraphrase to incorporate evidence into your own writing. A reference list is required. Use the most current evidence (usually ? 5 years old).
Stanhope, M., & Lancaster, J. (2020). Public health nursing: Population-centered health care in the community (10th ed.). Elsevier.
- Chapter 1, “Public Health Foundation and Population Health” (pp. 1-21)
- Chapter 11, “Population-Based Public Health Nursing Practice: The Intervention Wheel” (pp. 231-254)
- Chapter 31, “Health Equity and Care of Vulnerable Populations” (pp. 697-715)
Glasper, A. (2013). The nursing and midwifery contribution to public health. British Journal of Nursing, 22(15), 900-901. http://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2013.22.15.900
CDC Wonder. (2020). Retrieved from http://wonder.cdc.gov/
International Council of Nurses. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.icn.ch/
Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics. (n.d.). http://www.jhpiego.org/
The World Bank. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.worldbank.org/
World Health Organization. (1978, September). Declaration of Alma-Ata. Presented at the International Conference on Primary Health Care, Almaty, Kazakhstan. http://www.who.int/publications/almaata_declaration_en.pdf
World Health Organization. (n.d.). http://www.who.int/en/
Attia, P. (2013). Is the obesity crisis hiding a bigger problem? [Video]. TED conferences. https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_what_if_we_re_wrong_about_diabetes
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 16 minutes.
Write a fully developed and detailed APA essay addressing each of the following points/questions. There is no required word count; be sure to completely answer all the questions for each question in detail.