Interview With an Extreme Fighter
Part I: Watch the “Celebrating Violence” video segment
. Then, reflect on how the ancient violent gladiator games relate to modern violent sports. You will need to have a one-page comparison.
Part II: Next, formulate 10 interview questions to ask a person whom you could interview in your area who is affiliated with a typically violent sport
, such as boxing, mixed martial arts, or another physically aggressive sport of your choosing. Your interview questions should include the topics below.
- Questions should cover social class, equality, barriers to entry, and how they impact your interviewee’s sport and the role they play on their decisions in adulthood.
- Questions should also inquire on the impact that the interviewee’s family had on them as a youth playing sports and how family influenced their success in the sport.
Sample questions are provided below.
- What does it take to rise in this sport?
- What barriers did you face entering the sport?
- How have these challenges influenced your decisions in life as an adult?
- How did your family influence you in sports as a youth or young adult?
- What is the training schedule like?
- What kind of mindset does it take?
- What kind of financial resources does it take to participate in this sport?
Your interview can be done in person, over the phone, or online (e.g., email, chat, text messaging). Share your thoughts about how you feel the interview went.
Alternatively, if you cannot find a person to interview, research an athlete who is involved in a violent sport by reading about them online or through the CSU Online Library. Explore their reasons for getting into their desired sport. What impact did their family make on them? What barriers did they face?
Submit both the essay and the interview questions and responses (or the alternative assignment) in a single Word document.
The assignment with both parts should be at least three pages in length, be double-spaced, and typed in 12-point New Times Roman font. Adhere to APA Style when creating citations and references for this assignment.