Gami is a 48-year-old who you discover when completing a health history is taking cinnamon to treat Type II Diabetes
Gami is a 48-year-old who you discover when completing a health history is taking cinnamon to treat Type II Diabetes. She is specifically using cassia Cinnamon. You also discover that she is taking Ginseng to assist with memory. Her prescribed medications are Aricept and Coumadin.
Ms. GM is a 48-year-old who presents to your clinic to establish care. During the health history, you learn that she has a history of Type II Diabetes. When asked about prescription and non-traditional medications, she reports being prescribed Aricept, Coumadin, Cassia cinnamon for Type II Diabetes and Ginseng for memory.
- Is there any additional subjective or objective information you need for this client? Explain.
- What would be your position on the Ms. GMs use of alternative supplements for her diabetes and memory? Explain and include contraindications, if any.
- Are there any additional test/assessments you would complete for this patient given this list of medications? Explain.
- How might your treatment plan, in terms of medications, differ for this patient? Include the class of the medication, mechanism of action, route, the half-life; how it is metabolized in and eliminated from the body; contraindications and black box warnings.
- What health maintenance or preventive education is important for this client based on your choice medication/treatment?