1. For this team project, students will be assigned by faculty into teams of three to five individuals depending upon class size.
2. Teams will receive a project grade based on assessment by the project rubric, which will then be applied to each individual’s grade for the project minus points for lack of participation in the development or presentation of the project.
3. The team leader will make all dropbox submissions for the course so that the a. TURNITIN similarity index will not pickup inadvertent self‐plagiarism from another team member’s submission
b. Course faculty will have only one submission to review and grade.
4. Use Microsoft PowerPoint 2007, 2010 or higher for systems’ compatibility.
a. Follow the best practices for PowerPoint construction & presentation
Preparing the Presentation
1. Prepare a PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes between 25‐30 slides, NOT including the title and reference slides.
a. Speaker Notes
i. Outline and “script” the presentation for online students.
ii. Online students’ speaker notes should include the name of the student who researched and presented the slide information.
iii. Campus students follow the guidelines of your course instructor.
b. Scholarly writing and APA 6th Edition guidelines should be followed as applicable to PowerPoint slides.
c. Cite sources in APA format in the applicable slides and include the APA formatted reference in your reference list slide(s) ‐ Minimum 6 references
d. Spelling, grammar, and punctuation apply even in bullet points and speaker slides (e.g., quotation marks, italics, verb tense, etc.)
e. Copyright and plagiarism rules apply
2. Each team will be assigned a healthcare information systems technology (e.g., Computerized Physician Order Entry, Electronic Health Record, Electronic Medical Record, etc.) by the course instructor. For that technology, include the following discussions in the presentation:
a. Introduce the technology & the team
i. Title slide should identify the assigned technology and introduce team
ii. Provide an introduction
1. Describe the technology
2. Purpose for the technology in healthcare.
3. Establish the professional tone for the presentation.
b. History & Current Use
i. Describe significant findings that prompted the development of the technology
ii. Discuss the history and current use of the technology in healthcare
iii. Describe three goals of this technology’s implementation.
c. Impact on healthcare and nursing
i. Impact on professional nursing practice.
ii. Patient safety impact (including statistical justification)
iii. Impact on patient care delivery, quality care measures/monitoring, and risk management (privacy, confidentiality, and security) as applicable.
1. Ethical & legal considerations.
2. Infrastructure/operational consequences (e.g., budget, costs, etc.)
3. Impact on a population and/or geographic region
4. Provide examples & statically significant data to support examples.
d. Three advantages and disadvantages
i. Patient’s vantage point or perspective (e.g., patient outcomes, safety,
ii. Nurse’s vantage point (improves/hinders job efficiency/safety)
iii. Healthcare organization’s vantage point (regulatory compliance, financial, etc.)
e. Controversy/Issues/Challenges/Regulatory implications
i. How might issues surrounding the chosen technology be addressed/solved?
ii. Provide statically significant data or evidence to support your findings.
i. Key points
ii. Discoveries/surprises iii. Lessons learned by the team
3. Team Project Evaluation (40 points)
a. Place & discuss the following questions and responses in the slides(s) following the
summary slide and prior to the reference slide(s).
i. How did the team function well? (e.g., team strengths, team balance, etc.)
ii. What problems did you have interacting as a team? (e.g., team weaknesses,
outside challenges, technology, etc.)
iii. What specific actions would you recommend to future teams to help them interact, function, and collaborate successfully?