For this assessment, develop your own nurse educator philosophy statement. Identify your beliefs and values regarding the adult learner, learning environment, and teaching strategies and applicable learning theories that you will use as an educator. Address how this philosophy will guide you in the tripartite roles of a nurse educator—how it will guide your teaching, scholarship, and service. Support your philosophy with your knowledge of historical events that are pertinent to your work. In addition, identify the competencies that you see as critical to your role.
In sum, your philosophy statement should guide your practice as a nurse educator.
Your educator philosophy statement should do the following:
- Identify the area of nursing education or the area in health care in which you will apply your MSN, education specialization skills, and knowledge.
- Formulate your nurse educator philosophy statement, which should comprise your beliefs and values regarding the adult learner, learning environment, and teaching strategies and applicable learning theories that you will use as an educator.
- Apply your philosophy statement to each of the tripartite roles of the nurse educator. What does your philosophy mean for your approach to teaching, scholarship, and service? As you discuss the role of teacher, be sure to address any theories (adult learning theory, learner-center education, and others) that shape your approach as an educator.
- Analyze the relationship of significant historical events that have shaped the role you seek to fill.
- Analyze the most essential nurse educator competencies necessary for this MSN-prepared nurse educator. Explain why you selected the competencies you did.
- Conclude with a summary.
Your assessment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of grammar and spelling errors that distract from the content.
- APA format: Use correct APA format, including running head, page numbers, and a title page. Citations and references (if used) are to be in correct APA format sixth edition.
- Format: Submit your assessment as a Word document.
- Length: 3–5 double-spaced pages, not including the title page and references page. Please use 3 to 5 references no older than 5 years old.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman or Arial, 12 point.