Define what you believe is the most important diagnosis. Be sure to include the first priority in conducting your assessment.
Case studies provide the opportunity to simulate realistic scenarios involving patients presenting with various health problems or symptoms. Such case studies enable nurse learners to apply concepts, lessons, and critical thinking to interviewing, screening, diagnostic approaches, as well as to the development of treatment plans.
For this Case Study Discussion, you will propose a case study to your Instructor that demonstrates a gynecological disease process from your practicum experience or your professional practice that would be quite challenging for you as a clinician. Once your instructor approves your case study, you will then explore this case study to determine the diagnosis, diagnostic tests, and treatment options for the patient.
- Consider a case study you would like to propose to your instructor related to a patient that demonstrates a gynecological disease process in your practicum experience or professional practice that would be your biggest challenge as a clinician. Note: Possibly use your “FNP or AGPCNP Skills and Procedures Self-Assessment” in your practicum experience to guide your case study selection.
- Review the Learning Resources for this week and specifically review the clinical guideline resources specific to your proposed case study.
- Use the Focused SOAP Note Template found in the Learning Resources to support Discussion.
By Day 1
Email your Instructor with your proposed case study for approval. Once approved, you may move on to your Day 3 Discussion post.
By Day 3
Based on your approved case study, post the following:
- Describe your case study
- Provide a differential diagnosis (dx) with a minimum of 3 possible conditions or diseases.
- Define what you believe is the most important diagnosis. Be sure to include the first priority in conducting your assessment.
- Explain which diagnostic tests and treatment options you would recommend for your patient and explain your reasoning.
- Also, share with your colleagues your experiences as well as what you learned from these experiences.
Use your Learning Resources and/or evidence from the literature to support your thinking and perspectives.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues’ posts on two different days and explain how you might think differently about the types of tests or treatment options your colleagues suggested and why. Use your learning resources and/or evidence from the literature to support your position.