Briefly discuss your experience (formal or informal) with personality assessment.
Briefly discuss your experience (formal or informal) with personality assessment. What did you learn about your own personality and how might that information be of use to you in a counselling setting? Comment on how you saw reliability and validity related to your assessment results.
The purpose of this paper is to explore the influence of therapist personality traits on therapy.
For this assignment complete parts A, B and then C.
A: Counsellor Attributes Profile (250 words)
1. Rate yourself on each attribute listed below that you regard as an important component of a positive counselling outcome.
|Comfort with emotional intimacy|
|Sense of humor|
|Capacity to set aside personal needs to pay attention to the needs of others|
|Ability for introspection|
|Capacity for empathy|
|Curiosity and inquisitiveness|
|Ability to listen|
|Ability to gain insight from one’s own struggles|
|Comfort with being in a position of power|
|Energy and capacity for support|
|Spontaneity and sense of timing|
|Openness and lack of defensiveness|
|Comfort and enjoyment with conversation|
2. Now answer the following questions from Kress & Paylo (2019):
Question 1: In your opinion, which attributes are the most important in a counsellor?
Question 2: Which attributes are the most difficult to improve?
Question 3: Pick one attribute that was one of your lower scores. What are a few things you could do that might increase your abilities in this area?
Quote pulled from:
Kress, V. E., & Paylo, M. (2019). Treating those with mental disorders: A comprehensive approach to case conceptualization and treatment (2nd ed.). Pearson.
B: Big Five Personality Profile (250 words)
In PSYC 6104 you completed the Big Five Personality Profile. You can complete it again using the following link: https://www.scienceofpeople.com/personality/ Briefly reflect on the results of your Big Five Personality Profile as a counsellor-in-training.
(Review resources in Unit 4 notes to assist you with this task.)
C: Letter of Intent (500 words)
- You are applying to a prestigious counselling agency to complete the practicum requirements for your master’s degree. Write a letter of intent to the director of the agency describing your counselling attributes and personality traits. You should build a strong rationale for why you are an excellent candidate for the counselling intern position using the data from sections A and B.
- Support your rationale using 3 peer-reviewed journal articles published in the last 5 to 10 years in the personality and individual differences literature.
- You may use the course textbook as one of these sources.
- The letter of intent should be 500 words (+/- 50 words) excluding title and reference pages.
- The letter should be written in APA 7 format. For guidance, check out the Library (click Learning Support and then the tab called APA Writing Guides).
Example of a current peer-reviewed journal article from the academic literature:
Heinonen, E., & Nissen-Lie, H. A. (2019). The professional and personal characteristics of effective psychotherapists: A systematic review. Journal of Psychotherapy Research, 30(4), 417-432. https://doi.org/10.1080/10503307.2019.1620366[A1]
The following rubric indicates those areas you should be focusing on in preparing your assignment, and how the professor will weigh these components.
|Criteria||% of Assignment Grade|
|Big Five Personality Profile||/15|
|Letter of Intent||/25|
|Depth and critical analysis of academic research literature||/25|
|Writing style and APA format||/20|
Information Regarding Citations
Any sources used to support your Written Narrative should, of course, be cited using correct APA format. And although it can be a useful starting place to gather very general information, in order to later verify it with more substantial sources, no Wikipedia references will be accepted as scholarly citations. Here’s just one reason why: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30699302/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/student-hoaxes-worlds-media-wikipedia/
*The “Submit” button will appear 72 hours before the due date for this assignment. This means that you must upload the final draft of your assignment during this 72-hour period from when the button appears and the due date passes.
Please do not email your submissions to your professor, either before or after the due date; all coursework should be submitted through the online course (Moodle)
- Please review the instructions for uploading assignment files through Turnitin.
- The system will not allow you to resubmit after the due date.
- Please review the instructions for reviewing your feedback in a Turnitin assignment.